Sunday, October 31, 2010

Reflection

Back in September, someone challenged me to write a song every day for the month of October. Before this, I think at least a month had passed since the last time I even picked up my guitar. But I decided to have a go at it. Most of the time I didn't feel like sitting down to write a song, but I made it a priority and put less pressure on myself to make "the perfect song."
I committed to come up with something for each day. Most of what I was doing was playing around with various sounds and instruments. I gave myself freedom to try some different things. I got into the habit of writing lyrics or ideas down as soon as I thought of them. I think I've lost tons of song ideas in the past simply because I didn't write them down or I was quick to discard them for whatever reason.
So, I'm finding it's better to start out with more and to trim down from there. In writing a paper, you want to gather all the information, all the quotes or examples from various sources. Then you piece it all together into something more polished. My hope is to do the same thing with my music. What I have recorded here on my blog is all of the pieces.
One difficult part of writing a song every day is that you don't always know what to write about. You don't always feel inspired. You don't always feel motivated. But I did feel moved by stories that came through friends and family. Also, I enjoy writing about nature and seasons.
I'm going to take a break now from writing so many songs. My next goal is to make some audio recordings of the songs that I recorded as video. Then, I'm thinking of focusing more on words. I'm thinking of doing a poem every day for a month. I feel I have grown so much this month from this experience. I'm happy to be able to share the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment