Saturday, January 18, 2014

Social

Recently Melissa and I quit Facebook. I really didn't want to at first. How would people know what I was doing? How would I know what everyone else was doing? And what about all of the witty/clever things I needed to post on my wall!? I still want to post random comments out of the blue sometimes. Part of the appeal for taking a step back from Facebook, though, is that I feel I am stepping toward something our culture is losing. Remember the days of calling your friends and family or sending personal emails? We live right now more and more in a culture of convenience. We live busy lives, and it's a lot easier to throw some food in the microwave when we get home. But for the sake of convenience and simplifying our lives, we are leaving home-cooked meals and deeper personal connections. So, for the sake of being intentional and thoughtful about relationships and wanting to be more truly social, I am taking a break from Facebook to get together with people, have meaningful conversations over the phone, and take time to write out personal emails. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved talking on the phone with you the other day. It's such a rare thing that I would have undistracted time to do that - so cool how it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this entry! If we were in fb I would like it ;)

    ReplyDelete